Peak-4-Karate

This blog logs training methods, ideas, experiences and results of the Kaizen Central Karate Federation. Influenced by sports science and the experience of senior Karate coaches to produce the elite Karate athlete.

Sunday 6 December 2009

Coaching Seminar - Hertfordshire University

Each year I am invited to undertake a coaching session at Hertfordshire University by my old lecturer and coaching mentor David Turner - (Principle lecturer in sports science coaching). These seminars are different to thet norm' as I am there to for my coaching style/s to be analysed by first, second and third year students in scheduled breaks during and after each session. It's good to get feedback on the coaching techniques used and their effectiveness. What is always of particular importance is mapping coaching theory into the practical. Above I'm seen here coaching the larger of the groups with the traditional autocratic coaching style familiar to most karate-ka.

The vast majority of the participnants were first times but I still had to show the basic rudiments of coaching an activity session. Health & Safety requirements, verbal PARQ, dynamic warm up, progression and both programmed and external stimuli agility based drills. In addition good demonstrations, explanations, feedback and encouraged mixed in at appropriate times.

Willie Thomas' coaching mentor David Turner MSc,
Principle Lecturer Herts University

My special thanks goes out to my son Jordan, Carla Burkitt and Jovan for their kind assistance throughout. I hope they gained from the experience too.



Thanks again David

No comments: